Logo
Current time: 05-21-2019, 08:49 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 3.5 Average
Dennis tracks
01-05-2018, 04:49 AM
RE: Dennis tracks
(01-27-2014 07:24 AM)Dennis Wrote:  
(01-21-2014 06:39 AM)Dennis Wrote:  I tried to make the best possibble laps (lap parts), but after I was ready, I was surprised, that some AIs were already with full tanks faster, than the LP time. So I changed the RELS to 98, to be competitive.

The AIs are really tough. On other tracks I know where the AIs have their weaks, where I can overtake them, but here I'm racing against "myself", so overtaking is really difficult (at least for me).

I think I've found the reason, why the AIs are too fast. I made some race laps, and the AIs looked OK on the straights and in fast corners, but in slow corners they passed me everytime with an unbelievable speed. I watched the replays and they were in fact too fast, and it didn't look realistic.
I had an idea where the problem can be, so I tried it, and it works.
It seems, there is a bug in lpedit at the speed calculation.
As we make a TXT file from a replay with trafo20, it extracts the angular speed of the car in the corners, and it calculates a virtual radial speed at the center line of the track. This is higher, if we drive on the inside line than on the outside line at the same speed. But it seems, that icr2 interpretes the speed value in the LP files as radial speed on the racing line, and that's the problem.
My solution is: recalculating of the speed values in every corner with Excel before making any further edits with edit45.
The formula:
v=w*(r-dir*p)/r
where
v: radial speed at the racing line, needed for the LP file
w: speed data made by trafo20
r: corner radius in feet
dir: direction of the corner -1 for right corner +1 for left corner
p: position data made by trafo20

Now I could change the RELS back to 100, and the AIs are much more predictable. They don't attack and pass me in every corner (just in every second corner :-)).

Where were you getting "R" from (corner radius in feet)?

I assume from your track editor?

I ask because I am trying to modify/make new AI for the original ICR2 long beach circuit. I have a beautiful replay, but the speeds in the file created by trafo20 are not right when I convert them over to a TXT file. The position data coming from the replay looks pretty good to use, but the speed data is not right and I know it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2018, 05:19 AM
Open the track in SGE. You can see the corner radius, if you select a corner segment. You need also the DLONG interval of the corner segments and the track length, so you can calculate which entries in your .txt file are corner segments and which are straight segments.
01-05-2018, 05:22 AM
(01-05-2018 05:19 AM)Dennis Wrote:  Open the track in SGE. You can see the corner radius, if you select a corner segment. You need also the DLONG interval of the corner segments and the track length, so you can calculate which entries in your .txt file are corner segments and which are straight segments.

Wait- how do I open an original ICR2 PAPY track in SGE? I don't have the "build files".
01-05-2018, 06:58 AM
(01-05-2018 05:22 AM)samsepi0l Wrote:  Wait- how do I open an original ICR2 PAPY track in SGE? I don't have the "build files".

We had it recently. Use TrkSg tool from Sandbox to covert the .trk file to .sg file.
01-19-2018, 10:45 PM
(01-05-2018 04:49 AM)samsepi0l Wrote:  I ask because I am trying to modify/make new AI for the original ICR2 long beach circuit. I have a beautiful replay, but the speeds in the file created by trafo20 are not right when I convert them over to a TXT file. The position data coming from the replay looks pretty good to use, but the speed data is not right and I know it.

Did you have success wit the .lp files?
01-20-2018, 09:13 AM
(01-19-2018 10:45 PM)Dennis Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 04:49 AM)samsepi0l Wrote:  I ask because I am trying to modify/make new AI for the original ICR2 long beach circuit. I have a beautiful replay, but the speeds in the file created by trafo20 are not right when I convert them over to a TXT file. The position data coming from the replay looks pretty good to use, but the speed data is not right and I know it.

Did you have success wit the .lp files?

Instead of making my own from scratch, I modified the existing ones where I thought there were "problems".

I have a technique in my mind though that I would like to try, if it works- I think it will give excellent results. I do need to incorporate your method as part of it, but I will do that as well. Once I know more I will post about it.
05-08-2019, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2019 10:58 AM by samsepi0l.)
Dennis- I am trying to make the LP files the way you do, so I am trying to follow your instructions.

You said earlier that you need the radius in the corner in FEET.

What is this "CL" value in SGE?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=1527]

Is this the value I can use?

05-13-2019, 03:39 AM
That's interesting. I have there "ccl" standing. But that should it be.
If you click on the UNITS Button, it will change by the same factor, like the other length values. As long as you have the units in feet, you can use the value for the calculation.
05-13-2019, 06:02 AM
(05-13-2019 03:39 AM)Dennis Wrote:  That's interesting. I have there "ccl" standing. But that should it be.
If you click on the UNITS Button, it will change by the same factor, like the other length values. As long as you have the units in feet, you can use the value for the calculation.

Yes, I was making the LPs the other day when I made this post. I used your speed formula and the value from RADIUS and it came out perfect! I made excellent LP files for atlanta. I can now race without AIs crashing into me.

I find it is best to apply the formula with LIBREOFFICE CALC in a spreadsheet, and then save the values into the text file before converting them to LPs from within LPEDIT. You can also use the graph feature to make sure all of the numbers change smoothly. I find this works really well!