Logo
Current time: 09-23-2017, 10:48 PM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mac version
06-24-2017, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2017 01:48 AM by Dennis.)
RE: Mac version
Where did you find differences? I compared all .3do files with mines, and I could find a difference only in 76ball.3do, and that was, because the object has a different colour. So the MAC track runs in my DOS game.

What if the difference is in indycar.exe? Maybe it has a compiler, that can read the DOS files and interpretes them right for the MAC. And probably the new tracks have something special, which the compiler can't handle? They are the result of a conversion from N3, maybe there's the problem.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2017, 05:26 AM
Hmmm maybe it was just the DOS files only then. I checked the files of the original 1.0.0 version. I have no idea which values were different as I do not have any editing tools installed at the moment, but it happened in every .3do and in some of the .mip files I checked too.

Anyway, you could very well be right in your ideas about the differences coming from the N99/N3 conversion. Although I guess I would also expect some file size differences, and those are identical indeed.

Some more research should probably be done, but I do not really have the time or energy for that at the moment because of things. Maybe some more qualified people than myself on this forum can put in their 2 cents worth Smiley
06-25-2017, 06:31 AM
I compared the .mip files too, and there was only one difference in 65.mip. So it's strange, why are your files different.
06-25-2017, 04:37 PM
I have no idea what's wrong. But I did download this ICR2 version from some 3rd party website and did not even get it to work yet on my recently acquired old Win98SE desktop yet, so who knows. Virus? :-D

But then this particular error is on my end and what you were saying before is most likely the case. So then we would need to find out what exactly is in the N3 converted .3do files that the Mac version does not like. Or, maybe we could try to run all the .3do files through one of the .3do converter tools to see if the Mac version will then accept then?
06-25-2017, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2017 06:36 PM by Dennis.)
Do we have an ICR2->N3 converter? Then we could try to convert an original track to N3 and then back to check the difference.

My first ICR2 version was also a strange one at the end of th 90s. Long Beach and Nazareth didn't load, Cleveland and Laguna Seca made the game crash at a defined point of the track, Detoit too, except if I switched off all objects. It had a pit speed limit of 55mph except Michigan.

Update: I loaded camper.3do into 3doEd, I didn't change anything, just clicked on Update 3DO File and 3 bytes changed in the file.
06-26-2017, 01:16 AM
(06-25-2017 04:37 PM)Tjerk Wrote:  I have no idea what's wrong. But I did download this ICR2 version from some 3rd party website and did not even get it to work yet on my recently acquired old Win98SE desktop yet, so who knows. Virus? :-D

I could zip up a copy of my CD for you if you'd like.
07-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the offer Cowtownbob, but what I should rather do is finally clean out the attic and try to find my own CD of the game Smiley If I do not manage that I will get back to you, thanks!
07-04-2017, 12:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2017 12:31 PM by MacRacing.)
This is a topic near and dear to my heart... Smiley

A bit of context: way back in 1997-98, I discovered (through the old Inside Mac Games website) that there was an ICR2 league dedicated to Mac users. A bit of investigation led me to purchase a new T2 Thrustmaster wheel for my new Mac G3 computer, and I was off and running in participating in the MacRacing ICR2 league.

A few years later, the organizer of the league decided to bow out, at which point I volunteered to take the reins (thus the current forum handle). By the summer of 2004, the MacRacing ICR2 league had run its course, as most drivers had moved on to NR2003 or GPL, and I had run out of time to administer the league after having our firstborn. That said, the time I spent running laps around the tracks that the good folks at this place have produced or converted are some of the fondest memories I have.

Enough about me - back to the main topic... Smiley

I've still got the old G3, and ALL of the tracks that I've downloaded from this site work on my Mac installation (OS 9.2) of ICR2. That said, it used to be easier to get them to work...

Back in the day, when the compression format of choice was ZIP, using downloaded tracks was as simple as unzipping, copying, and running. These days, because RAR is the compression of choice, it's trickier. I've had to download the RAR files onto a Windows partition, unpack and ZIP the files, and then port them over to the G3 (either on a USB stick or a CD). From there, I can unzip the files and run them as normal.

Now, using downloaded carsets is a WHOLE different story!! Smiley But that's a post for a different day...

I hope that helps in some way! I'll also be happy to volunteer for any experiments that folks are wanting to try here as well - my 5yo daughter has never seen dear ol' dad drive his Planters Peanuts race car before! Smiley

(06-20-2017 08:23 AM)Tvx1 Wrote:  Indeed I can only run the original tracks on the mac version. I can't run any of the tracks that you can download on this. I have attached on of the tracks from the mac version. It contains all the files of the particular tracks. I hope it's helpful.

Just double-checking - when you say "Mac version", do you mean the old MacOS version that works in the Classic (OS 9 and below) mode? (I'm assuming that's true, as that's the only Mac version I'm aware of, but I wanted to make sure!)