Logo
Current time: 02-29-2020, 04:30 AM Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
****** UPDATED WINDOWS XP ICR2 STARTUP FOR THE DOS VERSION *******
11-20-2006, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2010 12:08 PM by woofgm.)
****** UPDATED WINDOWS XP ICR2 STARTUP FOR THE DOS VERSION *******
VDMS SOUND & ICR2 DOS

Well, I made this originally for use in win98, but now I use XP, and with VDMS the DOS Icr2 works fine. I also be the VDMS Launch pad, found at
http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/

Important: to run the .vlp file (created by VDMSLaunchPad, it is similar to .pif files), you should check the environment variables (Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables), and edit your personal TEMP and TMP variable to be the same as the systems TEMP and TMP variable (usually C:\WINDOWS\TEMP). About the sound: you must run the Setup.exe with VDMS, and for me the auto configuration worked well. If not, you may play with the audio settings in VDMS. About the screenshot: right click on the .vlp file, then Properties -> VDMSound -> Advanced... -> Program, then at the Windows shortcut keys uncheck PrtSc, and it will work on the game.

Make sure when you unzip the files you do not check "Save Path or "use folder " option. I just re-installed ICR2 Dos version on my 5th hd on the system, and it works with sound and let me know if you encounter any further problems.

In the same window you can add -h to the Arguments, to get VESA resolution. Maybe you should check Enable basic VESA support in the Compatibility window, and install/uninstall UniVBE driver, or run UVconfig with VDMS. In my home PC it works fine (XP2100+, Nvidia GeForce2 videocard with Windows XP).

After reboot, go into windows explorer; right click on the icr2star.bat file. Click on "Run with VDMS", there are quite a few options there also to pick and tweak the sound for it to run. You can also put a desktop icon, and change the icon to any form of icr2 or racing you want.

****** YOU MUST RE-BOOT COMPUTER FOR THIS TO WORK *****
****** WINDOWS ICR2 STARTUP FOR THE DOS VERSION *******

I made this utility do to the long time it took to exit to DOS, restart windows and back and forth, wasting way too much of my time.

If you want to run the game from windows which the original game was not made for then unzip the ICR2star.zip file. ICR2 dos start bat file & dos4gw19.exe Place it in the main ICR2 folder, use the start button and add a shortcut using the taskbar/start menu programs .Run the game from windows with your new shortcut - Go fast -

Copy the sound.cfg file to the main icr2 folder.

These files have been tested on my computer, and work just fine. E-mail me
if you encounter any problems.

Dave Reuille
General Manager
Woof Motorsports

woofgm@yahoo.com

Attached File(s)
.rar  ICR2STAR.rar (Size: 1.84 MB / Downloads: 131)

Keep Honking..............................

I'M Still Reloading........................
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2006, 05:57 PM
RE:    ****** WINDOWS XP ICR2 STARTUP FOR THE DOS VERSION *******
Thanks for this WoofGM, I have stuck this thread to the top of the forum because it remains question #1 about ICR2.
11-22-2006, 06:38 AM
dave, the link to vdmsound links to nothing, we get the elipses included in the web address.
11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
Try this link for the download folder of several VDMS downloads:

http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/
04-03-2007, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2007 08:58 PM by oliveca1.)
Hi all,
To find this forum is like find an oasis in the desert!!!
Some I remember from the gone m4driving forum, and I have to say: thanks for keeping this alive and glad to see you again!!!

As many of you, I also have a new machine running WinXP. Well, I desired to start my fantasy ICR2 season early February, but it is April and I am unable to get the sim running properly...

I followed the steps explained here (thanks WoofGM) and I got the sound working fine. But the problem that makes me perplex is the cars running in slightly in slow-motion...

Let me detail: after I felt something was wrong, I measured (with a real clock) the time taken to complete a lap and I compared this with the time clocked on the car panel to complete this same lap. In a long track such as Indianapolis, the real time expent is about 4 or 5 seconds higher...

My PC has dual boot (XP/98) and while running ICR2 under Win98 (in which I could not get the sound working due to sound card compatibility issues), I did the same experiment and both times clocked were equal...

Has someone experienced this? Any suggestion to overcome this problem?

Thanks,
oliveca1

P.S.: Dave, I could'n get WinStartUp utility working in my PC...

C:\Racing\F-Indy>dos4gw19.exe indycar.exe
DOS/4GW Protected Mode Run-time  Version 1.95
Copyright © Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1993
DOS/4GW fatal error (1008): can't load executable format for file C:\RACING\F-INDY\DOS4GW19.EXE [0]

C:\Racing\F-Indy>indycar.exe -h
DOS/4GW Professional Protected Mode Run-time  Version 1.97
Copyright © Rational Systems, Inc. 1990-1994
Copyright © 1994-1995  Papyrus Design Group, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Version 1.0.0
04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
RE: ****** WINDOWS XP ICR2 STARTUP FOR THE DOS VERSION *******
Been awhile since I have posted here, good to be back. I am having a fundamental problem with ICR2 running from the DOS executable. I have the game loaded on both my laptop and older PC and the game runs smoothly. I recentely purchased a more powerful computer and have XP loaded on all of the machines. The older pc and laptop have service pack 1 loaded on the OS, but my new machine has service pack 2 loaded. I have talked with my computer department at work and they have told me that older DOS games and anything running with DOS are not supported with service pack 2. re-building the machine (reloading the OS and not installing service pack 2) is not an option at this point. Is there any advice as to how I can get the DOS version running on XP with service pack 2 installed? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Christopher Harvey
London
04-20-2007, 06:59 PM
RE:    ****** UPDATED WINDOWS XP ICR2 STARTUP FOR THE DOS VERSION *******
Make sure when you unzip the files you do not ckeck "Save Path " or "use folder " option. I just re-installed ICR2 Dos version on my 5th hd on the system , and it work with sound and let me know if you encounter any further problems. Keep in mind, I work in Kuwait.

Keep Honking..............................

I'M Still Reloading........................
05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
RE:    ****** UPDATED WINDOWS XP ICR2 STARTUP FOR THE DOS VERSION *******
OK, here's my problem. After doing everything on this thread, I get sound but I can only run DOS ICR2 in low res. If I add the -h argument, I don't get video. I tried running UVconfig and ran the setup again but I cannot see anything in the hi res DOS version. I get sound, BTW, just no images. Any ideas?

Ed
Don't let ICR2/CART Racing die!
12-05-2007, 02:02 PM
RE: ****** UPDATED WINDOWS XP ICR2 STARTUP FOR THE DOS VERSION *******
Great work on this patch! I just have one question, Since using the patch I haven't been able to take screen shots using the Print Screen key. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one having this problem or if some of you are having it too? Thanks in advance Smiley
12-06-2007, 03:54 AM
RE: ****** UPDATED WINDOWS XP ICR2 STARTUP FOR THE DOS VERSION *******
Take from the first post in this thread:

"About the screenshot: right click on the .vlp file, then Properties -> VDMSound -> Advanced... -> Program, then at the Windows shortcut keys uncheck PrtSc, and it will work on the game."

Have you tried this ?